South Africa: The National Arts Festival brought together visual artists from across the country as they competed in the final National Art, Basket and Craft Exhibition, which was held at the National Museum.
When delivering welcome remarks, Policy Specialist Arts and Culture in the Ministry of Youth, Gender, Sport and Culture Dean Molebatsi applauded visual artists for entering this year’s competition in large numbers.
He implored creatives to tell the Botswana story through the use of various artistic media such as paintings, stamp design and photography, among others.
For his part, Botswana Post Acting CEO Ofentse Mabote alluded that exhibitions of this nature have the potential to market Botswana as a tourist destination of choice. In addition, he noted that “just recently, we launched Diamonds of Botswana stamps in collaboration with Debswana, following the launch of the second Botswana Digital Stamp with Stamdaq”.
Mabote revealed that these celebrated milestones have squarely positioned Botswana on the international map at a time when we are trying to explore innovative ways of attracting investors.
With regard to the exhibition itself, Principal Curator II in the Ministry of Youth, Gender, Sport and Culture, Dimpho Tumisang, availed that the exhibition will be open to members of the public until 31 August 2023. He implored patrons of the arts to visit the exhibition and experience the Botswana narrative as told through the use of artistic media.
National Arts Festival 2023, traditional Song and dance final results are also out:
1. Camera – new 6
2. Mwathiya Thicho Cultural Group-Kasane
3.\n Mayapero – New 6
4. Shamoning – New 6
1. Nandawe SEPERU Group -Lion
2. Kavimba Seperu Group- Kavimba
3. Mbalakalungu Seperu Group-Parakarungu
4. Yours Is Yours – Kasane\n
1. Get in touch – Gumare.
2. I have a new one – a new 6
3. Mavuashire – Ikoga
4. Let’s think of each other – Gumare\n
*Feeling away *\n
1. The old-fashioned – the mind
2. Sebonda Cultural Group-Bobonong
3.\n Manejankwe on the mountain-Bobonong
4. World Cultural Group-Mabolwe
* HOSANNA *
1. The big ones of kalawa – Francisown
2. True Memories of Cultural Dymasty – Gaborone
3.\n Francisown Ensamble – Francisown\n
4. Signed by Performing Arts-Gaborone
*Take a hold of it*
1. Kwena of Madiba – Molepolole
2. Once upon a time – it has been denied
3.\n Turtles – Ghanzi\n
4. Traditional dancers – Maun
1. Ditsuatsue Arts Group – Maun.
2. Nca”increase Traditional Group- New Xanagas
3. Cgoe this time Khoisan – Xere
4. Serenity of Sereto – Thamaga.
1. Baby spinach – Ramotswa
2. Tharapa of the readers – Selibe Phikwe
3.\n Wings of the fall – Ghanzi
4. Batana of Magosi – Gumare