South Africa: The Director-General of the Free State Provincial Government (FSPG), Kopung Ralikontsane, convened the Funeral Planning Committee in preparation for the Joint Provincial Official Memorial Service of the late MEC for Education, PHI Makgoe and Warrant Officer Vuyo Mdi.
The meeting deliberated on various elements of preparations to ensure a well-organized, befitting send-off for the deceased MEC Makgoe as well as his protector. The FSPG, therefore, confirmed the following, in line with the Funeral Planning Committee deliberations, in consultation with the family:
1. Provincial Official Funeral Declaration
The Free State Executive Council (EXCO) submitted a request to the President of the Republic, His Excellency Cyril Ramaphosa, for approval of a Provincial Official Funeral (Category 1) to be afforded the late MEC for Education, in terms of the provisions of the Amended State, Official and Provincial Funeral Policy Manual, on Monday, March 06 2023.
All Policy Provisions of the Provincial Official Funeral (Category 1), have thus far been adhered to, with all processes agreed upon with the bereaved family for both the Official Memorial and Funeral Services.
President Ramaphosa has thus granted a Provincial Official Funeral Category 1 for the late MEC Makgoe. Furthermore, the President has instructed that the National Flag fly at half-mast in the Free State Province from the day before the funeral, until the evening of the funeral service of the late MEC Makgoe, as a sign of respect.
Moreover, regulations require that no other flag should be displayed when the National flag is flown at half-mast.
2. Joint Provincial Memorial Service – March 09, 2023. The Provincial Official Memorial Service will be held at the University of the Free State, South Campus, from 10 am. The Executive Council led by the Premier of the Free State, Mxolisi Dukwana, including various formations and stakeholders, as well as the Deputy Minister for Basic Education, Dr Reginah Mhaule, will form part of the proceedings.
3. Final implementation towards MEC Makgoe’s final resting place. The mortal remains of MEC Makgoe were transported from a government mortuary in Welkom, to Bloemfontein, on March 07 2023 – a process which was coordinated by the South Africa Police Services (SAPS), working with the appointed Funeral Parlour. A befitting escort and ceremony were duly arranged, and care was taken to observe an rites which may be traditional, cultural or religious.
4. Funeral Service of the late Warrant Officer Vuyo Mdi. The Funeral Service of the late protector of MEC Makgoe will be held at Tsoseletso Secondary School in Bloemanda, Bloemfontein, on Saturday, March 11, 2023, from 08 am.
5. The Provincial Official Funeral. The Provincial Official Funeral (Category 1) will be held at the University of the Free State South Campus from 8 am to 12 midday. Various dignitaries, including the Premier of Gauteng, Panyaza Lesufi, Provincial MECs for Education, as well as the Minister for Basic Education, are expected to attend the funeral service on Sunday, March 12, 2023.
The SAPS will take control of the procession from the family home to the venue of the funeral service and from the venue to the cemetery. The number of people to enter the gravesite will be controlled by the SAPS due to limited space. Traffic will be controlled for ease of procession by the Mangaung Metro Municipality.
6. Messages from the Public
Condolences books will be placed at the following venues for messages, as of Thursday, March 09, 2023:
– Makgoe family home: Wekkie Saayman Street, Universitas, Bloemfontein;
– Mdi family home: 15599 Khoathela Street, Phase 2, Bloemfontein;
– O.R Tambo House Ground Floor, Bloemfontein; and,
– Fidel Castro Ground Floor, Bloemfontein.