Nintendo 8 (OTCMKTS: NTDOY) Shuts Down Smash Bros Tournament

Rwanda releases UPDF soldier of Special Forces Command two months after his arrest

Rwandan government on January 22 released an Uganda People's Defence Forces (UPDF) soldier attached to the elite Special Forces Command (SFC) two months following...

Tigray: Ethiopian army trying to eliminate security forces, says military officials

A year behind the outbreak of the war in Tigray, Ethiopia, the United Nations Security Council has not acted till now. The country's condition...

Failure in talks between Kenya-Dubai leads to continuation in flight ban

The ban on flights between Kenya and the UAE (United Arab Emirates) will continue after the two fail to reach a peace of agreement...

Public harassment blows wave of solidarity among women in Egypt

Persecution, prosecution, and public shaming have blown a new wave of solidarity among women in Egypt. Each morning, one of the women, 'Mona Eltahawy,' post...

Nintendo 8 (OTCMKTS: NTDOY) has shut down plans for the long-awaited Smash Bros Tournament. The tournament, which was to be held in Kalahari Resort at their Riptide water park, was initially set to occur in 2020 but was postponed to September 10, 2021, because of movement restrictions caused by the pandemic.

Kalahari resort served with cease and desist

Representatives for the Riptide water park of the Kalahari resort made the announcement explaining that they had been contacted by the company’s legal team and served with a cease and desist to which they had no choice but to comply. The resort is now offering refunds to those who will be affected by the move.

With less than two weeks to the event, many are voicing their disappointment, with many arguing that the company had a whole year to come to the decision. While they might receive refunds for their riptide tickets, many still feel a loss since they can’t get back the money they spent on plane tickets and booking hotel rooms.

Reasons given for the cancellation of the Riptide event

The order to cancel the event came because of Nintendo’s zero-tolerance stance on using mods. Because the 2008 game Nintendo Wii is old, it needed some help to make it good enough for competition. Project+, a spin-off of the mod Project M, was to be used to fix problems in the Super Smash Bros Brawl to give players a better experience.

On learning about the details of the three-day fighting tournament, Nintendo decided to shut it down. However, other Riptide tournaments that won’t feature Project+ are still set to go on.

This is not the first event the Nintendo legal team has shut down. Last year, Nintendo sent another cease and desist to The Big House tournament organisers for plans to use the Slippi tool. Due to the pandemic, The Big House could not host an in-person tournament as they had done since 2011. Slippi was a software tool that would enable them to make the Super Smash Bros. Melee playable online. In a statement issued by Nintendo, the tournament would have required illegally copied versions of the game, which the company would not tolerate.

Rwanda releases UPDF soldier of Special Forces Command two months after his arrest

Rwandan government on January 22 released an Uganda People's Defence Forces (UPDF) soldier attached to the elite Special Forces Command (SFC) two months following...

Tigray: Ethiopian army trying to eliminate security forces, says military officials

A year behind the outbreak of the war in Tigray, Ethiopia, the United Nations Security Council has not acted till now. The country's condition...

Failure in talks between Kenya-Dubai leads to continuation in flight ban

The ban on flights between Kenya and the UAE (United Arab Emirates) will continue after the two fail to reach a peace of agreement...

Public harassment blows wave of solidarity among women in Egypt

Persecution, prosecution, and public shaming have blown a new wave of solidarity among women in Egypt. Each morning, one of the women, 'Mona Eltahawy,' post...

Nigerian extremists kills two and abducts 20 children, says residents

Nigeria: Extremist puts two people on the bounds of death and kidnapped 20 children in Nigeria's Borno state. The Islamist military igniting up more...

UN relief chief promises to support in uplifting Nigeria

The UN, humanitarian affairs chief, travelled to the Nigeria to see the humanitarian situation, see the northeast's reaction to raise international awareness about the...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here