New deaths in Sudan’s Darfur take a toll to 180

The continuous clashes in Sudan’s Darfur region have spread, claiming four more lives, an aid group stated, which brings the death toll since Friday to 180.

The clashes so far have killed four people and nine injured as per the reports of Adam Regal, who is a spokesperson for the General Coordination for Refugees and Displaced in Darfur, an independent aid group, on Monday.

West Darfur has been fascinated by days of deadly fighting between Arab and non-Arab groups, primarily centered in the Krink area.

According to Regal, the clashes spread mainly on Monday in West Darfur’s state capital Geneina around 80 km from Krink.

As per the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors’ reports, it is not possible to define a death toll for Monday, but still, nearly ten people had been killed.

“Since sundown, we’ve heard gunshots. I can hear them right now,” a resident of El Geneina said.

Geneina resident Adam Eissa stated he was awoken by “heavy weapons fire”, while another inhabitant, Fatma Hussein, said she “was unable to leave the house” because of the fighting.

The violence first started on Friday when armed tribe members attacked the non-Arab Massalit minority villages in retaliation for the killing of two tribe members, the aid group said.

Nearly eight people lost their lives on Friday.

According to Regal, on Sunday, 168 others were killed and 98 wounded in Krink, Regal said.

He blamed the Arab Janjaweed militia –– which gained notoriety for its role in the repression of an ethnic minority rebellion in Darfur in the early 2000s –– for orchestrating the latest attacks.

According to rights groups, many Janjaweed members have been integrated into the feared paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, commanded by General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, de facto deputy leader of Sudan.