Third year University of Zambia student dies of electrocution

A third year student from the University of Zambia – UNZA has died after being electrocuted in her hostel room.

Third year UNZA student dies of electrocution in , Image: facebook
Third year UNZA student dies of electrocution in , Image: facebook

Zambia: A third-year student from the University of Zambia – UNZA has died after being electrocuted in her hostel room. The victim was trying to charge her phone when the accident happened on Saturday at approximately 21:30 Hours.

The incident has encouraged many students of the university to participate in a demonstration. The students blocked the path of Great East Road with stones and drums to attract the attention of the university authorities.

The victim has been identified as Margret Chibesakunda who was a student of Public Administration at the University of Zambia. She was in her room at October Block 2, Room 23, of the University of Zambia Great East Road Campus.

After the electrocution, the victim was rushed to the hospital to get medical assistance. According to the police officers, Chibesakunda sustained severe burns on her neck, right elbow, and leg.

The doctors made efforts to save the suspect, however, she succumbed to her injuries while receiving treatment. The officials have also shared that the demonstration of the students was a measure for the students to express their condolences.

The students wanted to inform the university management about the gravity of the situation and urge them to take action to prevent any further accidents. The electrocution of the student may have happened because of a fault in the wiring of the room.

The students are also scared for their safety in the campus rooms after the accident has claimed the life of a fellow student. The incident has also attracted a lot of attention from the country’s local population.

The people have extended their sincere and heartfelt condolences on the untimely death of the youngster. Some social media users were also sad to think of the unrealized potential of the girl.

People believe that the maintenance of the electrical fittings of the room could have prevented the accident.