Botswana: Minister of Youth, Gender, Sport and Culture, Minister Tumiso, has said the theme for the 6th annual Botswana Youth Awards resonates well with the aspirations of Botswana’s national development priorities, specifically the Presidential Reset Agenda and Vision 2036 as well as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
He was speaking at Botswana Youth Awards held over the weekend at the BNYC under the theme “A Season for Young Game Changers”.
Minister Rakgare stressed that the theme calls for young people to take a leading role in the development of Botswana’s socio-economic.
Minister Rakgare said young people had demonstrated their capabilities and innovations in various areas of human development both locally and internationally and encouraged the youth of this country, in every area of their interest and capabilities, always to do their utmost best.
Rakgare pointed out that the awards serve to celebrate excellence and inspire those who did not make it to this stage. He added that young people have to know that nothing is achievable from doing nothing, and failure, when you are trying, is gaining experience to succeed in future, hence imploring the youth to be habitual game changers.
Rakgare appealed to the youth to continue being resilient and adopt a never give up attitude as it will make them persevere in today’s world. The awards comprised twenty (20) categories, including the two (2) overall winning categories of Best Female and Best Male Youth of the Year.
The winners were awarded as follows:
- Best Youth in Community Volunteerism: Moemedi Topo Kedisitse
- Best Youth in Academic Excellence: Dr. Leabaneng Tawe
- Best Youth Promoting Culture and Heritage: Thabiso Titus Paul
- Best Youth in Fashion Personality: Cendrick Senna
- Best Youth Owned Business: Hello Adsales Botswana, Little saviours academy of Gaone Kwano Mabalane
- Best in Innovation and Technology: Kedumetse Liphi
- Best Youth Media Personality: Bakang Keitumetse
- Best Youth in Leadership: Kago Timothy Mweemba
- Best Organisation
- Supporting Youth Development: Mathangwane Train Organisation
- Best Youth in Agriculture: Koketso Tlhagale
- Best Youth in Sports Achievements: Melrose Phuti
- Best Youth in Tourism: Seneo Perry
- Best Youth Promoting Religion: Rev.Ndiwenyu Chibi
- Best Youth Living with Disability: Rowena Koloi
- Best Youth in Creative Arts: Dr Lame Pusetso
- Best Youth Promoting Health and Wellbeing: Pontsho Kodisa
- Best Youth Activist in Social Issues: Mompati Mbakhwa
- Best Media House Addressing Youth Issues: 267 Mono Vision
- Best Female Youth of the Year: Gaone Kwano Mabalane
- Best Male Youth of the Year: Kedumetse Liphi
The Minister’s special awards were awarded to two young individuals viewed as true game changers and ambassadors of excellence in their craft. There awarded Edwin Moroka and Letsile Tebogo.