CAIRO: According to the doctor’s union statement’s that 24 children and nine women were among dozens who were killed in tribal clashes over the weekend between Arabs and non-Arabs in Sudan western Darfur region.
Furthermore, the doctor changed their statements and said that 23 elderly and 144 men were also killed.
On Tuesday 26 April, on Tuesday, Khamis Abdalla Abkar, the local governor of the West Darfur region, stated that the death toll had already reached 200.
According to the association’s doctor committee, they are unsure that this is the final toll because it may be higher than this. The count does not include casualties that were not subjected to autopsy or were not even reported.
Some of the deadliest in the region in recent years, the fighting grew out of killing two herders last Thursday just outside Kreinik, 80 kilometres east of Genena, the provincial capital of West Darfur.
Large numbers of Arab militias, generally familiar as a janjaweed, then reportedly stormed the town in retaliation early on Sunday with heavy weapons. The violence eventually reached Genena, and the main hospital was attacked and then closed.
However, many other private hospitals opened their doors after the incident, and they received more than 220 injured people, as per the group of doctors.
Furthermore, they added that these hospitals could not fill the gap created by the closure of Genena hospital,” it said.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), two health workers, one in Kreinik and another in Genena, are among those killed.
In the statement, the UN agency blamed the attacks on healthcare facilities and called for the immediate death of violence.
Health care workers tried their best in order to provide life-saving care to the injured people and should not be at risk of intimidation or attack, said Ahmed Al-Mandhari, WHO’s regional chief.