South Africa: The Resident District Commissioner of Kagadi District, Mr Tumusiime Benjamin, technically commissioned Kagadi Piped Water Supply and Sanitation System in Kagadi District.
The technical commissioning was also attended by the Ministry of Water and Environment Officials led by the Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development in the Urban Water Supply and Sewerage Services Department, Engineer Richard Matua, the Contractor and the Community.
The construction of the Kagadi Water System was implemented by the Ministry of Water and Environment through Water and Sanitation Development Facility-Central with funding from the African Development Bank secured by the Government of Uganda. The construction was contracted to M/s Samcrete Egyptian Company.
The water system is designed to serve a population of 150,072 people by the ultimate year 2040. The beneficiary communities include; Kagadi, Muhooro, Kyenzige, Mambugu, and Ruteete.
The system components include;
1. 4 Reservoir tanks (600m3, 300m3, 200m3 & 100m3)
2. Borehole Pumping mains and Transmission mains
3. 3 Water offices
4. 4 Public Water borne toilets
5. 1000 Promotional consumer connections and intensification network in beneficiary communities (pipeline sizes ranging from DN40mm- DN15mm)
6. 4 Guard and attendant houses
7. 3 Sumps (1No. 250m3, 2No. 100m3) and booster stations
8. Aerator and rapid gravity filter
9. 10 Pump and generator stations
10. Electro-mechanicals (generator sets: 650kva, 350kva, 250kva and 200kva, 4 Transformers, 11 Submersible pumps, 6 Booster pumps and
2 Backwash pumps).
11. Distribution network (pipeline sizes ranging from DN350-DN50mm, DI, GI, uPVC and HDPE)
The system was handed over to the Umbrella of Water and Sanitation-Mid West for Operation and Maintenance.