Zambia: House fire in the Chasefu district has left a family of nine homeless. The affected family of nine has called on the people of Zambia to help them through the tragedy. The incident took place on December 5, 2023 while the elders of the family were away from home.
The affected family was a resident of Matelenje village in Senior Chief Magodi’s area. The head of the family, Suzyo Zimba was attending a funeral in a nearby village. He was accompanied by his wife.
The victims revealed that the children were at home when the incident took place. The fire accident destroyed household goods worth K16,820. The children, who were at home when the fire started, claimed that the fire was caused by a whirlwind.
According to them, some grass from the thatched house fell on fire which spread to the roof and burnt the entire house. The children were able to escape the house before the situation could turn fatal.
Further, the victim explained that children who were inside the house saw the roof burning and managed to rescue a minor who was sleeping.
The head of the family Zimba has appealed to government and other well-wishers for financial and material support. The victim claimed that the fire incident has left his family stranded without food, clothes and shelter.
The fire incident has not recorded any fatalities from the affected family. The people of Zambia expressed their happiness on the fact that the family did not suffer loss of life. They thanked god for preventing any further misfortune and
Meanwhile, the family was not able to prevent the fire from spreading and swallowing the valuable and household items. According to the reports, the financial burden on the family while rebuilding will be significant.
There are no reports of the chasefu based family receiving any offers for support and rehabilitation from the government or their area administration. However, the family is hopeful for better situation.