KAROI fuel dealer dies in explosion in Chikangwe

The KAROI fuel dealer have died in the explosion that occurred on Saturday, Feb 24, 2024. Two other people has sustained serious injuries.

Representative image of fuel explosion in KAROI
Representative image of fuel explosion in KAROI

Zimbabwe: The KAROI fuel dealer has died in the explosion that occurred on Saturday, Feb 24, 2024. Two other people have sustained serious injuries after a fuel container exploded in a house.

The deceased was identified as Tafadzwa Zanga aged 30 and was among three people who were trapped in a house that was engulfed in fire from the explosion in a high-density suburb of Chikangwe.


As per the reports issued by the Mashonaland West provincial police deputy spokesperson Assistant Inspector Aggray Jaure, the incident that occurred is confirmed.

Inspector Jaure said, “I confirm the death of Tafadzwa Zanga at Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital that was caused due to the severe burning wounds sustained from a fuel explosion in KAROI on Saturday around 12:00 a.m.”

The deputy spokesperson assistant Jaure also said that the injured Sibangeni Macheza aged 30 and Cliff Mwanza also aged 30 were battling for their lives at the hospital after sustaining burns all over their body.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police mentioned in the report that the trio went to house number 987 Chikangwe intending to refuel their container in one of the two rooms they used to store the fuel.

Adding to his narration inspector Jaure said that it was during that time when another tenant Melody Musariri aged 52 heard the sound of a boom and later saw flames engulfing the rooms while the trio shouted for help as they tried to escape.

Later on, the injured people were rescued by the neighbours and were taken to KAROI District Hospital and were then transferred to Chinhoyi.


Inspector Jaure also warned people to desist from illegally selling fuel and storing it indoors. He said that people must desist from keeping fuel, especially the inflammable petrol. They even call on farmers not to stock too much fuel in containers in homes.

Jaure said that they have also called on fuel dealers to stop this habit as it has serious consequences. Last year, in May another prominent fuel dealer – Adam Kaponda was burnt to death in an inferno at his rented house in Chikangwe.