Cape Town investigates Masipumelele fire; second incident records in 1-week

Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services are working hard to find the fire cause that makes hundreds of people refugees in Cape Town.

The Masipumelele Informal Settlement was gutted in the early hours of January 29 morning.


According to the government estimation, some 100 homes suffered and were destroyed, leaving 235 people impacted.

Humanitarian aid organisation Gift of the Givers, who’ve been working for the people on the ground since Saturday to help those who are suffering, assumes that more than 150 homes were lost, which left 600 people disadvantaged.

According to the Project Manager, “Ali Sablay,” families with children need the most support.

People who live in Cissie Gool House in Woodstock, Cape Town, had to vacate the building following a fire.

However, authorities are still investing in the cause of the fire.


A similar incident also took place on Thursday in Cape Town.


“In which, A Official Tweet came from the side of “Reclaim the city” in which they mentioned that no one had been hurt, but they needed donations of food, water, mattresses and bedding. Please take them straightly to CGH(77 Mountain Road, Woodstock) or provide the number. If anybody wants to contact them, they can directly contact them.”

Brett Herron, a member of the Western Cape Legislature, called on the city to release public land for the public good.

In 2017, Herron also called the “Inner City Affordable Housing Prospectus in a bid to start making Houses.

As per some non-profit Organizations, “The City”, this fire affected the city and residents a lot. Residents need donations of food, water and other stuff of bedding.

However, in the Saturday fire in Cape Town, firefighters have managed to contain a foliage fire that occurred in the morning above Philip Kgosana Drive.

There were nine firefighting appliances and approximately 33 staff on the location, assisted by the “Nature Conservation Corporation and Working on Fire crews.”

As per the one firefighter, they used two choppers water bombed in that short period to control the fire.

According to the University of Cape Town spokesperson, “Nombuso Shabalala”, they were well aware of the fire, but as per the fire department, the wind was blowing away from the university campus.